Hello everyone. I hope you are all well and looking forward to the Easter break. 🙂
Gracing my early Easter bento is My Melody, a rabbit character created by the company behind the immensely popular Hello Kitty. Although not as popular as Kitty, she is just as adorable! I made Melody’s pink ears using rice coloured with beetroot. The bento is served with oven baked cheesy sweet potato korokke / croquettes, spring onion / scallion tamagoyaki, and a side salad with diced beetroot. Here’s a quick recipe for the korokke.
Ingredients (makes 10-12 korokke):
- 1 large orange fleshed sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 2cm)
- 1 tsp of salted butter
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- a dash of salt
- a pinch of dried rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 5 white mushrooms, diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of oil
- a generous pinch of cracked black pepper
- a handful of flat leave parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar
1. In a large saucepan, bring stock and 2 cups of water to boil. Add sweet potato cubes and cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat until tender. Add all the other mash ingredients and mash with a potato masher.
2. Preheat oven at gas mark 6.
3. In a skillet, heat oil. Once heated, add garlic and shallots. Once aromatic, add mushrooms and sauté for a minute on medium heat. Season well with black pepper and salt.
4. Let mushrooms cool slightly before adding to the mash. Add cheese. Mix well, taste, and adjust seasoning accordingly.
5. Using your hands, mould the mixture into small patties. Dust croquette with flour and then coat with beaten egg.
6. Spread Panko and chopped parsley on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Coat croquette thoroughly with Panko. Repeat until mash is used up.
7. Bake until golden brown. It should take about 25 minutes on gas mark 6.
I will be away for Easter and this shall be my last bento of the month. Have a good break and see you all in May.
Lots of love,