I love how tofu has started to gain popularity in the UK. It took the UK a while to realise just how awesome tofu is. Hailed by some as a superfood, this versatile, protein-rich soy product is fast becoming a prominent ingredient of a healthy diet – perfect for vegetarians and vegans. I was craving something sweet, so I decided to make a chocolate mousse with my leftover Easter egg (not a fan of chocolate, so it was hard work demolishing the Easter egg). Here is the recipe, perfect as a pre-weekend treat:
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1/2 box of silken tofu, drained
- 200g of milk chocolate (add more if you like)
- Vegetarian gelatin (I used 1/3 of a Dr Oetker Vege-Gel sachet)
- 100ml whipping cream
I chose not to add sugar or sweetener as I felt the chocolate was sweet enough.
1. Whip cream until soft peaks form.
2. Mash the tofu.
3. Melt the chocolate by placing chocolate in a bowl over hot water.
4. Dissolve Vege-Gel in 1 tbsp of hot water and stir well.
5. Fold Vege-Gel, whipped cream, and chocolate into tofu. With a food processor, blend until smooth.
6. Spoon into individual ramekins and allow to set in fridge. The mousse should set in an hour.