Claudia my Italian colleague gave me a recipe for tagliatelle ai funghi (creamy mushroom tagliatelle) but I forgot to get tagliatelle on my way home from work. The only carbohydrate I had in my store cupboard was udon, so I decided to improvise and add an Asian twist to the Italian classic. The cream worked surprisingly well with the sesame oil and nori and the end result was, if I may say so myself, delightful. 🙂 Here is the recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 packet of udon noodles (usually 150 – 250g)
- 5 chestnut mushrooms (aka brown mushrooms, cremini mushrooms), sliced
- 1/4 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- a handful of chopped parsley
- 100ml double cream
- sesame oil
- kizami nori (shredded nori)
- soy sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil in a wok. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and cook until aromatic.
2. Add mushrooms and sauté for about 2 minutes. Season mushrooms with soy sauce and black pepper.
3. Turn down heat. Pour in the cream and let simmer for about 2 minutes. Add udon. Season with salt and more pepper if needed.
5. Serve with parsley, kizami nori, and several drops of sesame oil.