When my sister and brother first introduced me to Law of Attraction, I was intrigued by the concept of abundance, whereby you attract manifest abundance (wealth, success, etc.) through the power of thoughts and visualisation. So I thought, perhaps eating ‘abundance’ might help with the manifestation process – hence these Golden Money Bags. Don’t they look like little pouches of gold? 🙂
These yummy morsels are Thai in origin (known as toong tong) and are traditionally made by wrapping wonton wrappers around a little ball of pork and shrimp into a little pouch and then deep fried. For health reasons, I have decided to bake mine instead of deep frying. I also made them pescetarian friendly.
They make great starters / appetizers and party food. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients (to make about 20):
- wonton wrappers
- 1/2 box of firm tofu (drained), mashed
- 60g of shelled and deveined shrimps, finely diced (optional, without would be vegetarian)
- 4 mushrooms (preferably shiitake, white mushrooms are good too), finely diced
- 1/4 can of water chestnuts, finely diced
- 2 Chinese cabbage / napa cabbage leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- a handful of spring onions, finely chopped
- a handful of coriander, finely chopped
- Chinese chives / garlic chives (some finely chopped, some shredded)
- 1 tbsp of Shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of dark soy sauce
- a good dash of sesame oil
- salt and white pepper to taste
2. Taste-test your filling by shallow-frying one teaspoon in a little oil. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
3. Wrap money bags. My wonton wrappers were extremely floury, so I dusted away the excess flour. Here’s my very quick inforgraphics on how to wrap these bad boys:
4. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the money bags onto the tray; keeping them 1 cm apart. Brush the money bags lightly with some olive oil.
5. Bake on medium heat until golden brown. Serve with sweet chilli sauce and some greens.
$$$$$$$$$$ Here’s to eating and living abundantly! $$$$$$$$$$
(P.S.: There is a good chance that you will have loads of chives left after this exercise. Here are some ideas on what you can do with them.)