Prepared too much dashi (Japanese soup stock) for my zaru soba but I didn’t want to discard it. Frugal times call for frugral measures. Anyway, decided to make a miso soup on the spot.
- 200 ml of water
- 1/2 tsp of instant dashi
- 1 tsp of miso paste (I use Clearspring brown rice miso)
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
- 2 – 3 tofu puffs (washed to remove excess oil and quartered)
- 2 – 3 oyster mushrooms (sliced)
- dried wakame (reconstituted)
- spring onions (shredded or finely chopped)
1. Pour boiling water into a saucepan.
2. Add dashi, mirin, and soy sauce.
3. Tip the mushrooms and tofu into the water and let boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Meanwhile, reconstitute your dried wakame with water.
4. Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the miso and stir till even. Serve immediately with spring onions.